I did some freelance work to build a voting web app for an international rugby match: https://yourrugbymatch.com.au/
The webpage ended up getting tens of thousands of hits, and there was about 7000 votes in the couple of weeks it was open.
The voting is closed now, so the webpage just displays the results.
TLA Worldwide is a publicly listed sports marketing group.
This work was on a tight time frame (10 days) so I got some mates to help me out with it. Hao did the front end, Daniel handled our deployment, and Martin and I built the backend.
The app collected answers to a few questions, and only once the user had put their email and answers in could they see the results of the poll. We limited the amount of votes based on the users IP address to 5 a day. There was a counter displaying how much time was left to vote, and we sent the updated list of emails and votes to the client each day that the competition was open.
We decided to build a Django app. While it might have been overkill for such a simple project, we liked the security that comes with Django. This was a pretty big client after all…
We hosted on Google Cloud. We also went overkill on the servers as we didn’t know how many people would be visiting, and one of the main requirements was to make sure it doesn’t go down once live.
Lock down the spec
When I quoted for the project, the specification was quite loose. I thought that I was going to be given all of the design work, but we ended up having to do wireframing… Wireframing takes a long time!
There were lots of small changes along the way. We didn’t really have much room to say no, because the specification had so much ambiguity. This meant we spent a lot of time changing things near the deadline.
Spend more time on security and testing
While we thought of most things, we missed something pretty obvious and unfortunately got exposed 😳
We spent lots of time ensuring that a user couldn’t access the results page until they have voted. We also made sure that all of our data was being continually backed up. One thing we missed was server-side validation on plain old POST requests… While you couldn’t access the voting page if you’d already voted 5 times, you could manually submit results as many times as you like.
One day I noticed the results changed quite considerably. When I looked at the data, someone had voted like 1000 times… Luckily we got on top of it straight away, patched the security flaw and fixed up the results, but it was still quite an embarrassing oversight!
Working remote can be hard
I was studying in Singapore while managing this project. While everything can be done online, there were times I wished we were all just sitting in the same room, so we could just reel off thoughts rather than spend so much time in Slack.
We also had a few complications with timezones and DNS propagation. Safe to say I had some pretty late/stressful nights in the library…
Design with frameworks in mind
We were all really happy with the design that was wireframed and then implemented, but it meant coding everything from scratch. It probably would have been smarter to find some pre-built elements and include them into the wireframes, to reduce front-end coding time.
Working with a smart team is awesome